Out and about in Moonee Valley - just another day in the suburbs.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
An earlier Essendon Grammar School
The original Essendon Grammar School was established in 1867 by Charles Dyer. In time the school was taken over by Samuel Craig who had this building purpose built in Park Street, Moonee Ponds, on the corner of Parry Street, in 1889. The Grammar School closed at the end of 1905, and the premises taken over by Laurence McShane who opened a co-education school called Essendon College. This school was shortlived, and by 1908 the premises was occupied by John Hill, MA, principal of the newly established St Thomas' Grammar School. The principal and boarders lived at the house in Park Street. John Hill was replaced in 1910 by George Gresham Robinson when the school merged with Carlton College. The principal and boarders continued at the premises until a house was purchased by St Thomas' Grammar in Fletcher Street, Essendon in 1915. At this time the house became a private residence. Restored in recent years to its glory days, the building remains standing in Park Street.